Wednesday, Apr 23rd

Last update:10:13:44 AM GMT

Recent Posts:
..." href="/resources/2067-no-smoking.html">No Smoking

If You Need Support

E-mail Print PDF
If someone close to you has a problem with alcohol or drugs…
Your support can make a difference.

Who Needs Support

Any person who uses drugs/alcohol has relatively high chances of progressing into abuse and even addiction so insidiously that sometimes he/she may not realize that their drinking/drugging has become a real problem for them and those around them. A drug addict may experience some/combination of the following symptoms at some point or the other:
If You Need Support
  • Any person who uses drugs/alcohol
  • Has craving for drugs/alcohol
  • Difficulty in controlling the onset, termination or level of use
  • Experiencing a withdrawal on not taking drugs/alcohol
  • Increase in the quantity used
  • Neglect of other activities
  • Continued use of the drug despite clear evidence of harmful consequences
  • May not realize that their drinking/drugging has become a real problem
What type of support

The kind of support may vary between individuals based on their personal behavioral traits and the drug/alcohol of abuse. The type of support may broadly include:
  • Support from family/friends/peers
  • Early identification
  • Emotional/psychological support
  • Motivation for accessing support services.
How do you give support
  • Focus on the person not on your feelings
  • Respond to the circumstances as it exists/or may occur
  • Be patient and compassionate
  • Be active and get involved
  • Stay calm
  • Stay friendly supportive and non threatening
  • Communicate–acknowledge, reflect and reassure
Comments (4)Add Comment
July 03, 2010
Votes: +0
What should I do ?

A friend has had a lot to drink, and they are on the verge of collapsing or throwing up, etc. I'm good at the emotional consolation stuff when people get upset, but what about what I should do physically?

Should they lie down, sit upon the floor, sit in a chair? Should they drink water? Should I get them to eat something? Should I take their wrists and make them wave their arms to keep blood rushing? Should I get them to walk? Should they be outside in the fresh air, or in the warmth? Where should I be, sitting side by side with them, sitting on the floor with my chest to their back?

Secondly, if I'm also drunk and I think that the atmosphere around me is getting aggressive, how can I accelerate sobering up to retain the role of a coordinator and get people sorted out?

TTK Hospital
July 06, 2010
Votes: +0
@ Rahul

1. When a person drinks too much and vomits, just make sure that he sits and bends forward when vomiting so that the vomits is not aspirated into the respiratory system. If that happens there can be complications like asphyxia or pneumonia.

2. Walking, waving arms, breathing fresh air will not help. Only time will bring down the alcohol level in the blood. It takes one hour for the body to get rid of one drink.

3. If you are a coordinator, you cannot get drunk. It affects your reflexes, judgment.

September 23, 2010
Votes: +0
Rule or Law or will help

Rule, Law or awareness will not help indoxicating mind but can only prevent from availability of the toxic poisonous drink from the public availability. But the governments for want of huge Budget Income really give vide publicity to influence peaople to drink themaximum possible and spent money on unwanted awareness. In both the way the government as well as the public are loosers of money as well as health and life.When it is stopped or banned people will be happy to see that t

tapan sen gupta
February 16, 2011
Votes: +0
sonitpur dhatri sewa samity ngo

i want to know details of your sponsored programmes

Write comment
All fields marked with * are required

The comment option is for expressing your comments on the article/content.Please do not use it to ask queries. It is difficult for us to keep track of the numerous comments and forward them to the concerned doctor/s.Comments are published and form part of the page, it would be incorrect to have medical queries which are personal in nature, be available for public viewing.If you have a specific medical query, please use the Health Directory/Ask The Doctor section or write to

smaller | bigger

security image
Write the displayed characters *



This is YOUR sites, so if you have suggestions or feedback on how we can improve it for you, please let us know! We do our best to keep up!

Make a Suggestion
Manthan Award

Link to Aarogya

aarogya logo