Any classification of drugs that have psychoactive properties, that is, licit and illicit drugs that affect mood, thought, and behaviour, should include specifically:
- drugs that are used in a recreational or social manner
- drugs that have the potential for creating physical or psychological dependence
- drugs that may result in drug-related harms
- volatile substances, some prescription medications, ethanol products & nicotine.
Drugs are generally classified as Depressants, Stimulants and Hallucinogens.
|Barbiturates||Nicotine||Cannabis (high doses)|
|Cannabis (low doses)||Caffeine||Magic Mushroom|
|Other natural substances||Other precursor/ ATS compounds||Other synthetic compounds|
- Alcohol remains the commonest drug of Abuse in India followed by Cannabis, Heroin, Opium, Sedatives and Pharmaceuticals, Amphetamine Type Substances (ATS) & some chemical often referred to as ‘date rape drugs’.
- In a National Household survey in India of 40,697 Males (12-60yrs), the prevalence of ‘current’ use (i.e. during last month) were-
- Alcohol 21%
- Cannabis 3%
- Opiates 0.7%
- IDUs (ever) 0.1%
- The prevalence of opiate use in India is 0.7% and particularly alarming as the Asian and Global average is 0.3%.